Newly Online: John Horry Dent Papers

This entry was posted in Agriculture, Cool Collections and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

The John Horry Dent Papers contain three ledgers (a plantation book, a farm journal, and letter copybook) and a folder of miscellaneous letters written by John Horry Dent of Eufaula, Brabour County, Alabama, and Cave Springs, Floyd County, Georgia, dating from January 1849 to November 1891. Dent moved from South Carolina to Eufaula in 1836. He purchased 360 acres of land on Cowikee Creek, paying $15 an acre, and named his plantation “Good Hope.” Dent amassed a large fortune but lost most of it following the Civil War. He sold his properties in Barbour County in 1866 and moved to Cave Springs, Georgia. Dent kept detailed records about his crops and properties until very late in his life. The plantation book records expenditures and incomes from his estate from January 1840 through December 1842, as well as expositional writings, such as letters to his overseer. The farm journal gives crop and weather information along with short anecdotes about events at home in Cave Springs, Georgia. The copybook mainly deals with the workings of his properties in Alabama and Georgia from 1863 to 1875. The miscellaneous letters, written by Dent between 1852 and 1891, are mainly to family members.

This entry was posted in Agriculture, Cool Collections and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.