A Photographic Display of American Cistercian Abbeys

“My Travels to All 17 Trappist Monasteries in the United States,” a collection of photographs by Kay Barnett of Eufaula, is on display through Oct. 9 in the Pearce Foyer on the second floor of Gorgas Library on the University of Alabama campus in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

“My only personal goal during my visits was just to capture the people, sights, settings and experiences of my travels,” Barnett says. “For me, this was an incredible once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to talk with a very dedicated group of people.”

The exhibit features 41 photographs Barnett took of monks and their dwellings while she visited American Cistercian abbeys from 1996 to 1998. The exhibit also includes books written by monks, including the scholar and theologian Thomas Merton.

In 2001, HarperCollins Publishers, The National Review and Christianity Today all named Merton’s The Seven Storey Mountain on their list of the 100 most spiritually significant books of the 20th century. Three other of his books are sometimes included along with his best seller: New Seeds of Contemplation, The Sign of Jonas and No Man is an Island.

Library hours are: Monday -Thursday 7:30 am – 2:00 am, Friday 7:30 am – 6:00 pm, Saturday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm (exceptions for home ballgames) and Sunday Noon – 2:00 am. 

For additional information contact: Donna Adcock, dbadcock@lib.ua.edu or 205-348-1416.